|SCRIPTURE: “Now when Daniel learned that decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened towards Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before. Then these men went as a group and found Daniel praying and asking God for help.” (Daniel 6:10-11 NIV)|
Throughout Daniel, we can clearly see the benefits of having spiritual accountability:
1. Daniel and his friends resist unclean food together in Daniel 1.
2. Daniel and his friends pray together for help interpreting the king’s dream in Daniel 2:17-18.
3. Daniel asks the king to appoint Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego as administrators over Babylon to support his work in Daniel 2:49
4. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refuse to worship the image of gold together in Daniel 3:16
5. Daniel holds the king accountable and calls him to repent in Daniel 4:27.
6. While it is certainly possible to remain faithful in the face of evil by yourself (see Daniel 6, where Daniel goes to the Lion’s Den alone), it’s much easier when you have friends.
Many Christians today, go to church and have community groups, but these relationships only go so deep. We need a small group of friends who will ask us the hard questions – how is your marriage going? How are you leading with integrity at work? Are you spending time with God? What are the idols in your life?
Daniel and his friends spent the majority of their time with people who did not believe in their God. In fact, the Babylonians frequently mocked their religion and commanded them to go against God.
All of us will spend time amongst non-believers. Some will be respectful of your beliefs, and others will not. That is why it is key to have strong relationships with people in your life who believe what you believe and will encourage you to remain faithful and do what is right, even when it hurts.
Rev. Dr. Joyce R. Aryee
(Executive Director, Salt and Light Ministries)Salt and Light Ministries
P.O.Box AN 15007, Accra North
Contact: 0302 772013,026 8130 615/0243588467
Website : saltandlightministriesgh.org