I have spoken these things to you that my joy might be in you, and that your joy might be complete. “This is My commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I heard from my Father. You have not chosen Me but I have chosen you, and I have appointed you to go out and to bear fruit, of such a kind that it will remain. I have done so that the Father will give you whatever you ask Him in My name. These are my orders to you, that you love one another. – John 15:11-17.
The central words of this passage are those in which Jesus says that His disciples have not chosen Him, but He has chosen them. Out of this passage we can compile a list of things for which we are chosen and to which we are called.
- CHOSEN FOR JOY – However hard the Christian way is, it is, both in the travelling and in the goal, the way of joy. There is always a joy in doing the right thing. The Christian is the man of joy, the laughing cavalier of Christ. It is true that the Christian is a sinner, but he is a redeemed sinner; and therein lies his joy. How can any man fail to be happy when he walks the ways of life with Jesus?
- CHOSEN FOR LOVE – We are sent out into the world to love one another not to compete, quarrel or dispute with one another. We have been filled with love and we must live it out.
- CHOSEN TO BE JESUS’ FRIENDS – intimacy with God which surpasses the relationships which the great men of old never knew – including servants of God such as David, Joshua, Moses etc. This calling to be friends of God and friends of the Lord Jesus means that Jesus is no longer a distant stranger but a close friend.
- CHOSEN TO BE AMBASSADORS – sent out to represent Jesus in our generation. Great privilege to be ambassadors, considered to be the true representatives of our Triune God.
- CHOSEN TO BE ADVERTISEMENTS FOR THE LORD JESUS – He chose us to go and bear fruit which will stand the test of time. The wear to spread Christianity is to be a Christian. The way to bring others into the Christian faith is to show them the fruit of the Christian life. We are not sent out to argue people to be Christians or threaten them with hell but to attract them into it; our lives should be so wonderful others will deserve to belong to Christ.
- CHOSEN TO BE PRIVILEGED MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY OF GOD – The Lord Jesus chose us so that whatever we ask in His name the Father will give to us. We will receive everything for which we pray for.
WHAT KIND OF PRAYING MUST WE DO
- Prayer of faith (James 5:15). One praying must not be a formality, a ritual a routine or a conventional repetition of a form of words. We must pray as people with an invincible belief in the all-suffering love of God.
- Prayer must be in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. This means that we cannot pray for things we know that Jesus would disapprove. If what we are asking for will hurt others. We cannot pray in the name of Jesus who is love for vengeance on our enemies. We cannot turn prayer into something to satisfy only our ambitions and desires.
- Our prayers must always say ‘Your will be done” not “Your will be changed”. Our prayer must always be in recognition that God knows better. He loves us so much He won’t do anything to hurt us. (Romans 8:32).
- Prayer must never be selfish. The world is not a population of ourselves so when we pray, we must ask ourselves whether what we ask for in prayer will be for the good of all people. (1 John 5:14-15).
The Lord Jesus chose us to be privileged members of the family of God. We can and must take everything to God in prayer but we must accept the answer which God in His perfect love and, perfect wisdom sends to us and the more we love God, the more it is easier to do that. And how do we love God more. The Lord Jesus shows us how in this passage. We remain in Him the Lord Jesus!
- Bible study
- Meditation on God’s Word
- Live practical Christian life
- Maintain fellowship with God and believers
Church is not a social club. It is a place we go as brothers and sisters in the family of God to meet with Him and hearing Him speak to us.
Disciples (followers, students, learners) in Jesus’ day usually choose the particular rabbi, or teacher, whom they wanted to follow. But Jesus chose His inner core of disciples, and for a purpose – to “bear fruit”. All Christ’s followers have that purpose. This fruit-bearing refers to:
- Spiritual values and godly character, such as the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23 – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
- Working for the spiritual salvation of others who do not yet have a personal relationship with Christ.
Please continue to join us on Asempa 94.7 FM – Sundays 5.30 am., Sunny 88.7 FM – Tuesdays 5:30 am; and Uniiq 95.7 Fm – Saturdays 7:30 pm; for our Radio Bible Study as well as Sunny FM 88.7 FM every Sunday at 3:30 pm. for Hymns and their Stories.