“Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You?” Psalm 85:6
“A revival quickens dead men, touches men’s imaginations and sets loose their hearts. There is a divine mystery about revivals. God’s sovereignty is in them.” – Alexander Whyte
Last week we were made to know how important revival is to every Christian. In today’s world of endless wars, failing economies, corrupt politicians, rampant secularism and unbridled cultural perversions the Lord knows we need a fresh global move of the Holy Spirit. The world has a multitude of problems but God’s ultimate solution has always been to invade mankind with His grace and power through an awakened church. Revival is the cure of all man’s ills. We also looked at the Five (5) positive Fruits of Revival and mentioned that we must observe the fruits of changed lives as the true means of God’s sovereign power to transform lives. Today we continue with the Five (5) Results of Revival.
- People start living right – just the way God wants to (Psalm 85:10): “Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other.” (Psalm 85:10, NIV)
The key word in this verses is “righteous –ness.” The word signifies right relationships and the terms that keep them. In various contexts the word can mean anything from salvation or victory to righteous help and healing. Whatever keeps God’s covenant operative in accord with His character is righteous. In other words, God’s people start living right. They get back on the straight and narrow. They see their sin, confess it, and then follow God’s ways.
- The church has more unity (Psalm 85:10): “Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. (Psalm 85:10, NIV)
Here, four major characteristics of God join in pairs. Mercy and truth join together, and righteousness and peace join together. They are pictured here like dancing couples. Couples who dance do so in unity. When you see people living right, when you see people at peace with one another, when you see love being shared, and truth being lived out, then you are going to see unity. Jesus prayed for unity in the church – the same unity that God the Father had with Jesus. – John 17:20 – 23
- The church sees an increase (Psalm 85:11):“Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. (Psalm 85:11, NIV). When people get their lives right, they will be willing to share the truth – the Gospel. They will also live right. When we are living as God wants us to, and sharing with others, God’s church is going to see an increase. We will see more people come. We will see more people commit. We will see more families restored. We will see an increase in God’s favor.
- The church sees God’s provision (Psalm 85:12): “The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest.” (Psalm 85:12, NIV). What is God doing during all this time? He is providing. He is providing what is good. He is allowing us to receive the blessings that come because of obedience. If you plant a seed, water it, take care of it, God will grow it into the crop which is harvested and enjoyed. The same is true with the church. If we are doing what God tells us to do, then He will provide. God will never send us somewhere without providing a way.
- God prepares the church for the next step of the journey (Psalm 85:13): “Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps.” (Psalm 85:13, NIV) “If the Lord delights in a man’s way, He makes His steps firm;” (Psalm 37:23, NIV)
God himself appears to lead his people forward. Before him as a herald goes the righteousness which moves him to the salvation of his people. His people will follow in his steps. In order for God to help us in our next part of the journey as a church, we have to be living like God wants us to. Our obedience to God paves the road that God uses to take our church forward. If we are living like God wants us to, then He takes that obedience and uses it to pave the road to our future. If we are disobedient, if we dismiss this opportunity that God has given us, we will be as lost as a person in the desert with no orientation. But we have to pay attention. The results of this revival will only happen if we take time to pay attention.
To conclude, let me reiterate that the fruit of revival are:
- We honour God
- We detach ourselves from selfish pleasures or gain
- We have a deep hunger for the word of God
- We dwell on the truth
- We love one another
The results of revival are that
- We start living right
- There is more unity in the church
- We see increase in church growth
- We experience God’s provision as a church
- God prepares the church for the next step of the journey
We must pray for revival. We must pray that God would pour out His Spirit and do something supernatural in our country and all over the world. A hunger for God and for growing in holiness, a devotion to discipleship and community. An outpouring of witness and service. Many people are saved, and God is glorified in all the earth. By the grace of God we can say that we are seeing both fruits and results of revival our lives. PRAISE THE LORD! Let us therefore continue to joyfully live our lives as a sign of our gratitude and commitment to God and His wondrous doings.
For further inquiries please contact us on Tel Nos. 0302-772013 or 0268130615