“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9 (NIV)
Lets see some practical ways in which we will do what God asks us to do in Joshua 1:9.
HOW DO WE BECOME STRONG
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power…” – Eph. 6:1
1. By The Word Of God – This is the number one weapon of every Christian. In Joshua 1:8 the Word of God says, “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” It is by reading, studying and meditating on God’s word that we become strong spiritually in our inner man. By studying God’s word we get to know who He truly is as He talks to us through His word. By the Word we become strong and are able to stand against every trick of the evil one and every temptation that comes our way. The Word is also our offensive weapon as we read Eph. 6:17 – “ Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” By the Word of God we can stand strong to defeat the enemy as Christ did in the wilderness – Matt. 4:1-10.
2. By Prayer – Prayer is another great weapon of a Christian. It is said that a Prayer-less Christian is a Powerless Christian. How true!! For it is through prayer that we draw our daily strength from the throne of grace to face the battles of this world – Heb. 4:16; Eph. 6:18; Luke 18:1; I Thess. 5:17.
3. The Holy Spirit – A part of the Trinity that most of as have relegated to the background is the Holy Spirit – the third person in the Trinity. It is either we have forgotten we have Him or to most of us He is not real. Thus, we are always hurting Him, but then He is our source of spiritual strength in prayer and in studying God’s word. “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” – Rom. 8:26. All we have to do is to tap into His power and receive a fresh anointing into our lives for every day.
4. Righteousness – The word of God says that the righteous shall be “as bold as a lion.” When we live righteous lives we are emboldened to come before God’s presence. When we continually sin we find it difficult to approach God. Thus, the devil fears those who have right standing with God, for the Lord defends and shields them – Job 1:8-12; Eph. 4:24; 5:9; 6:14.
5. Trust In God“…. – In quietness and trust is your strength” – Isa. 30:15b. Once we trust in God and His word we remain strong and resolute no matter the circumstances that come our way – Jer. 17:7-8; Isa.40:31. By trusting also we keep quiet for God to have His own way in our lives to fight for us knowing that He is the Almighty in battle– “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” – Psalm 46:10; Jer. 20:11.
6. Joy In The Lord – “…for the joy of the LORD is your strength” – Neh. 8:10b. As we continue to rejoice in the Lord we are telling the devil and whatever circumstances that, we are stronger than it. Praising God evermore in the grace of His salvation.
Source: Culled from SALM’s article in the Chronicle newspaper.